This article was contributed by the STOMP Team.
Here's a warning to all. Never store carbonated canned drinks in the freezer. A boy learnt his lesson the painful way when his frozen can of cola exploded in his face.
The boy required 38 stitches as a result of his injury.
The accident happened in China on the night of August 25, after the boy took a frozen can of cola out of the freezer. As soon as he pulled the tab open, the can exploded from the top and sent chilled aluminium shards flying to his face.
The boy was badly wounded and went to the hospital to get 31 stitches on his face and seven on the inside of his mouth.
The next day, the boy's mother posted pictures of her son’s injury to Chinese Twitter-like service Sina Weibo to warn others who chill carbonated beverages by putting them in the freezer.
Cans are made to contain only a certain amount of liquid. When soda or other carabonated beverages are frozen, the water inside expands as it turns to ice. The carbon dioxide gas gets pushed out of the mixture as it solidifies, building up even more pressure on the walls of the can.
Usually when a can of soda is left in the freezer for too long, it will explode by itself.