When Mr Wang's mother, 60, was bitten by mosquitoes, one of the bites ballooned into a huge sore filled with pus that required an operation.
The sore was the size of a tennis ball, Mr Wang told Lianhe Wanbao. His mother suffered chest tightness while she was sleeping and felt uncomfortable.
Worried, they sent her to the Singapore General Hospital on Thursday where doctors recommended an immediate operation.
STOMPer Vulcan commented:
"You know it's really scary how one small thing can suddenly develop into a huge matter.
"Take this mozzie bite for instance, and I even heard of someone who contracted cancer from ulcers in the mouth...
"Even a tiny wound can get infected and lead to more serious circumstances that might lead to amputation or worse, death.
"Remember to get all your cuts, bruises, scrapes, bites promptly treated and tended to."